Chilli salt skate fillets with sweet chilli sauce
When it comes to seafood, choose the best, choose Shetland.
- 1 medium skate wing, filleted.
- 4 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 eggs made into eggwash
- Oil for frying
- 2 red chillies, seeded and chopped. Not too fine.
- 2 oz water
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 TBS white wine vinegar
- 4 oz white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the sauce, put all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, then remove to a ramekin or sauce boat. If you want a smooth sauce just blitz after cooking.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, turn your attention to the Skate. It must be spankingly fresh with no hint of ammonia. If it has, give it back to your fish man. There are 2 fillets to each wing and it’s very easy to remove the. Take a sharp knife and cut along the top at the thick end. Keep the knife on the cartilage and cut down to the thin end. Turn the fish over and repeat. You can then decide the size of the pieces you want to fry.
- Mix the flour, salt and chilli flakes together. Dredge the fillets in this and shake off excess, then put into the eggwash and back into the flour.
- Heat the oil to 180c in a wok or deep frying pan and carefully add the coated fillets and cook until golden and crispy on each side. About 2 minutes. Remove onto kitchen roll.
- I like to stirfry some vegetables, put the fillets on top and drizzle with the sweet chilli sauce.
- As with all recipes, you can adapt this to be more or less chilli as your taste dictates.
We’d love to see a photo of the dish that you’ve created – share using the hashtag #somuchtosea